Answer by Tushar Patel:
Work in progress Below are steps taken to bring black money by govt.
- Out of the said 628 people, 200 were either non-residents or non-traceable, leaving 428 cases to be actionable for tax sleuths to probe.
- For these 428 actionable cases, the government had said, the net amount of peak balance was about Rs. 4,500 crore
- The Penal provisions have been increased from minimum 6 months to at least 3 years in jail and maximum sentence has been increased to 7 years
- All corruption trials will be completed within 2 years and provide for more stringent punishment for the offences of bribery, both for the bribe giver and the bribe taker
- The agency, as part of its efforts to crack down on illicit funds in India and abroad, in the last year registered a mammoth 400 per cent rise in the numbers of assets attached, over 500 per cent increase in the number of criminal
- In a major action against black money hoarders and money launderers, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has attached assets to the tune of Rs 9,003 crore and filed 173 charge sheets in the financial year 2014-15
- A report prepared in this regard, also accessed by PTI, has been submitted to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) on black money and the Finance Ministry.
Indian money in Swiss banks falls by over 10 per cent to Rs 12,615 crore